Helping Your Child Plan For Life After High School
Questions Parents Should Ask Their Child About Life After High School:
- How will your disability affect you in a learning environment?
- How will you learn how to do your job (university, community college, technical school or on the job training)?
- How will you get to and from school/training?
- What will you do to keep growing and learning throughout your life?
- How will your disability affect you in your job?
- What kind of job/s fit with your strengths and things you like to do?
- How will you get to and from work?
- What would your perfect work environment look like?
Social, Recreation, and Leisure:
- How will your disability affect you in your leisure activities?
- What kind of things will you do at home, in the neighborhood, or in the community?
- How will you get to and from social, recreational, and leisure activities?
- How will you have fun with people from work, family, and friends and in your community?
- How will your disability affect your ability to live independently?
- Where do you want to live?
- How will you get to and from appointments and errands? (i.e., grocery store, medical appointments, etc.)
- Do you want to live alone or with others?
- Do you need help with understanding/managing your insurance/benefits?
- Do you need help with cooking, cleaning, washing your clothes, or taking your medicines?
- Do you need help paying bills, managing money or filing/paying taxes?